Monday, January 08, 2007

The Passing of an Old Friend


Well, today it happened. Neko left us. It seemed as if he waited for me to come home before he decided to leave us. I got home at about 3:30 and he died at about 3:50. I tried to give him some water, but he was just too weak.


We got Neko from the Helen Krause Foundation when he was just 6 weeks old. He was found in an abandoned house and we had just lost Budweiser about a month prior when Wayne surprised me that November in 1991 when he brought this sweet little gray ball of fur home. They had named him Toy. This was around the time that Kirk was fluent in Japanese and I asked him what the Japanese name for sunshine was. He told me it was Neko. The name fit him perfectly. Over the years he grew to be about 16 to 18 pounds at his highest weight. The vet always said, "He is way to heavy, you must put him on a diet." Well, Neko just loved to eat and eat.


We will miss him so much, but he is with Miller and Bud now, along with Katie and Kacy, and Kramer and Kabee, Bits, Trevor, Fuzzy and a host of all the other beloved animals we have lost along the way, and he is not suffering anymore.


We love you Neko

1 comment:

nanny joan said...

Good-bye dear Neko. I will miss you very much too. I wish you could have been in better health when I got Miss Lilly because I know you would have enjoyed playing with her. Please have a wonderful time as you cross over the Rainbow Bridge and say hi to all your brothers and sisters, and your dog cousins. Tell them hi for all of us who are left behind here. Some day we will all meet again and when this old world ends and we are part of the better life we can always walk over to Rainbow Bridge and spend a day with all our loving and loyal animals. A fond farewell old friend. Love, Nanny Joan